Tuesday, October 6, 2009

FAIL: The Great Russian Watch Experiment.

This is an update of the post about the Vostok Amphibia watch I ordered earlier. But, let me begin at the beginning.

I was generally happy with the watch at first. So much so that I got another one. A beautiful Vostok Troika, from the same seller on eBay. On the second day I had that watch, I was working outside on a hot, humid day. I looked down to notice that there was condensation on the inside of the watch. I sent it back to the seller, who replaced it.

But, when I got the new one back, it too became fogged with condensation, again on a hot day. Not only that, one day I got it wet and there were visible water droplets on the inside of the watch.

Keep in mind that this watch was supposed to be water resistant to 200 meters. I think a dunking of a few inches would spell doom for this watch.

In the meantime, the original Vostok Amphibia stopped working. It would only run for a few minutes then stop. In fact, it made me late for an appointment at work!

I'm sure that the seller on eBay would service the watch if I sent it back, but at $15 a pop to send it, I think there are better ways to spend my money.

The Chinese Slava knockoff is still working perfectly, by the way. Got that one for under $20, keeps great time, and has never missed a beat.

Lately, I've seen the same watch selling for under $15, with shipping. THAT'S irony.

No comments: